Sunday, March 11, 2012

Crazy Busy Weekend!

What a fun weekend we had! This post is mostly about my little BIG boy! I'm not sure why but I often feel that it's necessary to get really excited about even the littlest things...usually dubbing them  a surprise. Such as 'Paxton I have a surprise for you'...whether it's going to North Platte for a quick shopping trip or going to Camp Maranatha for a skating party then to Kearney for a swim in the pool. I feel the need to hold it over his head as a surprise. I've been accused of being dramatic a time or two! We get really excited! And there may be some jumping up and down....maybe.

(As dramatic as I can be in the good parts of life...I'm amazingly controlled and collected in times of stress....like when the little man escapes while I'm sleeping in a hotel in Kearney....that's all I'll say about this....(it's never fun to admit mistakes in parenting...this is my blog and I don't have to say if I don't want to!) :) In all seriousness lock the deadbolt...please don't say, 'Well duh'...) Annyyywwhooo........

The kids and I headed to a birthday party for my cousin Jake who turned 6 (in my mind...he actually turned 12...WHAT!?) at Camp Maranatha...rollerskating and rock climbing wall. I haven't skated in forever. 4-EV-ER! Paxton was pretty excited for surprise number one. Aunt Brenda took him around the gym once. After that it was all high speed! He just took off RUNNING on his skates...then turning backwards and then back around. All the while I'm pretty proud that I'm just standing...a tailbone broken twice is more than enough for me! I didn't do too bad I must admit! I only rolled over Paxton's hand once....after that he learned to keep out of my way! Well, after about 96 trips around the gym on skates P was ready to climb the rock wall.


He patiently waited in line (me so proud) and got his harness on. Then Papa Tony assisted him the first few tries at the hand and foot holds. Then the rope operator starts hoisting my precious baby boy like 8,000 feet in the air! And what does my sweet boy do? Giggles! Grin ear to ear! Wave to me! No crying. No asking for Mommy...nothin! Just hangs in the air. Then the operator says, "Do you want to come down fast or slow?" And FAST he came! Oh my word! Daddy would have been so proud! Our son is fearless!

Now on to the hotel....Paxton finally puts 2 and 2 together...(and got four...yea he's good at math....sorry for the lame joke...I've never understood that saying...another day another blog post!)  and realizes there's a pool in the hotel (hence the running away) and now the excitement is through the roof! (On his adventure he found that there's a pirate ship and a 'big daddy slide.') So here we go. We don our suits and life jackets (I'm really not a negligent parent....) and off we go. Thank goodness Gramma is here! Coz two kids and one mommy just doesn't work in a pool area. P immediately goes checking out the stuff. And when explained to that running is dangerous he takes on this new 'strut', it's not technically running...but I'm not sure of the safety....for mommy who might drown from laughing. So he's up one slide and down and in an out and having a blast! The time came for the big daddy slides and I explained to him the rules....only the green one, feet first, no running, take turns, etc. So here he goes. I'm standing at the base of the green slide and next to me out of the yellow enclosed slide shoots my little man in a life jacket.  Whoops! got too excited and went on the yellow one...mistake made. Lesson learned! So up and down up and down up and down up and down...you get it. And every time he went up? He blew a kiss to his mama! Sweet grown up little man. I once had a college roommate tell me that 'You have a problem....you're too loud.' Well I apparently passed on this loud gene. Coz we could always tell when P was on his way down....from the yelling! He had such a good time and he was so polite. Made me so happy! (Lyla loved the little 2 inch pool and floating with Gramma.)



Now on to shopping....I am proud to say that I have trained him so well. While at HoLo, he's riding in mom's cart...that only has 2 items in it. He tells her, "Gramma you're supposed to FILL your cart!" Oh yeah that's my boy! (I'd love to say that the shopping trip was uneventful but....my car died in Wal-mart parking lot and I had to 'shanghai' a parking spot so that my dad could come rescue mom and I. (Thanks to a man unwilling to help a couple dames in distress (whoa when did I become a dame and not a damsel...shoot) who just drove off....) I stood in the spot that happened to be close enough to connect jumper cables and didn't let anyone park. This van with two men pulled up and looked at me and I walked the their window and said (words sometimes put themselves in their own weird order coming out of my mouth), "I'm waiting for my dad to come jump my car so unless you're going to jump it, you can't have the spot!" (They were willing to help...it was a pretty good spot at Wal-mart on a sunny Saturday.) So car got started and we headed to Carlos O'Kellys (if you are reading this and you've known me for very long you have just thought to yourself...'Shocking!' And that's ok) my favorite restaurant! Hands down!

After a nice dinner, We. Found. This......and it was hilarious!

When I became a Mommy to Paxton...when I saw his teeny weeny heart beating on the Ultrasound ...when I was in labor for 24 hours and broke my tailbone in delivery...when I held his tiny little hand for the first time....I had NO IDEA what I was in for! It is a wild crazy ride....but one that I love. I cannot help but be filled with joy when I'm with this kid! I hope he always hits life at a full fledged run (not that funny little strut!) and with a zest that can't be dampened.

After a weekend like that, this Mama needs sleep! (And Daddy needs a turn with his offspring!) Thank you Lord for my little man...for His precious little ways...and help me to see the world through his eyes....Coz I bet it's a tad bit amusing!

1 comment:

  1. I read this outloud to Dad and laughed so hard I cried! Literally cried from the laughter! You are a good writer....with a good subject. I too got so amused at his "not running" stride at the pool!

    And on the other "unmentioned subject", it wasn't bad parenting...or grand-parenting...it was a lesson learned. And one that hit me HARD about the time I went to bed last night. There's a verse that was in the sermon this morning... Isaiah 65:24 "Before they call I will answer; while they are speaking I will hear." So very thankful that God had the situation under control and answered prayers before we knew we needed to pray them.

    ReplyDelete